Photo Submission Guidelines & Criteria
Thank you for your photo submissions for our 2019 calendars!
Competition will be fierce as we received 216 submissions throughout the photo submission year.
But don't despair! Photos are accepted year round.
With the passing of the 2019 calendar deadline (February 1, 2018), submissions received between February 2, 2018 - February 1, 2019 will be reserved for our 2020 calendars.
So submit your feline AND canine photos!
Photos are in high demand with year-round calendar development at Cat Lovers Calendar (CLC), so we are constantly sourcing new photographs. Photos may be used in a number of ways: wall calendars, mobile calendar app, and/or directly on the CLC website.
With the advent of high resolution photography at your fingertips with your mobile phone, we know that you will be tempted to share every picture of your favorite friend. But don't get carried away without thoroughly reading the following sections first:
- Photo Guidelines
- Picture Name Structure
- Photo Training & Image Quality Standards
- CLC Photo Release Policy
Once development for the following year has been completed in the late summer, notifications will be sent to all submitters whether or not their photo was selected for one of our calendars.
A complimentary calendar will be sent to each pet owner for the calendar in which their pet was featured. Since you may want to share your pet's new fame with your family and friends, we'll also send you an option to purchase additional calendars at a significant discount.
If your submission was not selected this year, we welcome you to submit that perfect photo for another opportunity next year.
- Photos may ONLY be submitted via this on-line process.
- Photos are not accepted by mail.
- LANDSCAPE orientation photos are used for our print calendars.
PORTRAIT orientation photos are DISCOURAGED, but will be accepted.
- Photos are accepted 365 days a year.
- Only TWO photos, PER PET will be accepted per calendar submission year
(February 2, 2018 - February 1, 2019 calendar submission year for 2020 calendars)
- Photos of multiple cats or dogs in one photo is acceptable.
- Black and white photos will continue to be used on the CLAB Classic calendar, though PLEASE submit ONLY color photos. Our expert design team will make the appropriate color changes to the selected photographs.
- Send original photo: no photo manipulations (our graphic artist will modify, as needed)
- Photo must be SHARP and IN FOCUS. PLEASE do not submit blurry photos - they will be AUTOMATICALLY rejected, no matter how adorable.
- Properly 'set the scene' for the photo, as its 'story' is very important.
- Think about submitting photos for different seasons of the year
File size for print calendars MUST be a MINIMUM of 1MB (1000kb) to accommodate enlargement to calendar size.
Smaller photos will be considered ONLY for calendar apps.
- Only QUALITY photos will be published - see the Photo Training and Image Quality Standards section below.
- Minimum resolution required for wall calendars: 1920 x 2400 pixels (5MP digital camera or higher); see a sample of Smartphone Camera reviews here.
- All photographs MUST be taken by you (or your friend/relative) and the subject of the photo MUST be your pet.
See these EXAMPLES of pictures that have good composition and high quality.
Photo Training and Image Quality Standards
Instead of reinventing the wheel, CLC found an outstanding site - Pixabay, a Creative Commons site for shared images - that clearly defines high quality standards for photos.
The topics to pay special attention to on the Pixabay link below are:
- Image Dimension
- Copyright and Duplicates
- Focus and Blurring
- Light and Colors
- Image Manipulations
- Noise and JPEG Compression Artifacts
- Image Hygiene and Composition
- Tilted and Crooked Images
On the submission form below, please note your calendar preference in the "Additional Information" field:
CLAB, LGBTQ, Pups, or Any Calendar.